Svalbard Expedition 2018
This is the ultimate Arctic expedition, on board the ideal ice-strengthen small-ship, and with the most experienced expedition crew in the archipelago.
Max Group Size: Only 12 participants
Departure: June 3, 2018
Number of days in country: 9
We have secured M/S Malmo, the smallest ice-strengthen expedition ship navigating the generally calm waters of the Arctic circle, to explore for 9-days the Svalbard Archipelago, the best Arctic wildlife destination on earth today, and also, the best place to observe healthy polar bears and their cubs.
- Aboard a 12-guest Ice Strengthen Expedition Vessel.
- During the Ideal Time of the Year.
- Led by an NPE Senior Leader and Two Master Naturalist.
- Explore the Most Wildlife Prolific Area of the Arctic with NPE!
Details in Brief
Duration: 9 days in country
Leader: Jorge Salas
Maximum Number of Participants: 12
Departures: June 3, 2018
A Senior Leader with over 25 years of experience leading expeditions in all continents. Jorge is a great lecturer, a passionate wildlife and travel photographer, and a favorite among our guests. He has been published by Smithsonian, WWF, Nature Conservancy and many other international media.
Itinerary in Brief
Arrive in Longyearbyen. Visit the local museum. Transfer to ship. 4 PM Embarkation. Navigate North. Overnight M/S Malmo. Dinner. NOTE: Arriving in Longyearbyen a day earlier is highly recommended.
Days 2 to 8:
Explore the northern sector of the Svalbard Archipelago in search of wildlife and unique experiences. Overnight M/S Malmo. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.
8:00 AM Disembark. Transfer to the airport. Fly back home. (Breakfast is included this day)
The M/S Malmö is a classic vessel built in 1943 in Helsingborg for the Swedish National Maritime Administration and has been in service for many years as an ice-strengthens pilot and research ship. It has a lovely patina and has been heritage listed since 2004. It has been totally refitted on 2014 to serve as photography and travel expedition vessel and has all the needed insurances, including P&I Club, the most demanding safety standard. It’s Captain and crew are some of the most experienced in the Arctic waters.
The M/S Malmö carries a maximum of 12 passengers plus three expedition leaders/guides.
There is a total of 6 Guest cabins:
- One of them is configured as a triple, with two lower beds and one upper. This cabin has private WC/Shower. We have decided to offer this cabin as an upgraded double (Two lower beds and the extra comfort of an empty upper bed).
- There are 4 double cabins with bunk beds (One lower, one upper), with private WC/Shower.
- There is one cabin with bunk beds that does not have an ensuite bathroom, but those staying in this cabin will have a private bathroom (WC/Shower), located a few feet away from their cabin. Even though comfortable and a with access to a private bathroom, we are offering it at a discounted price.Malmo also has a dining room, a saloon, and an open stern deck to enjoy the vistas of Svalbard with a drink. It carries two zodiacs and plenty of walking area on the bow decks. The main deck will be used as photographic platform regularly.Malmo is a marvelous piece of maritime history with beautiful brass details and nice wooden decks. With a party of 12 on board, it is like traveling on a private yacht, and it offers an entirely different experience and perspective to that of a larger vessel. No other ship can get deeper into the fjords and closer to wildlife.
Note: All prices are guaranteed for 2018 and include fuel surcharges, exchange rate variations,
and national parks fees. All prices include the Club Members Benefits.
If a Credit Card is used, a 5% surcharge will apply.
Included in Land Cost:
- Services of NPE in-house support team.
- Complete pre-departure package
- Services of an NPE Senior Leader (Jorge Salas)
- Services of two Local Naturalists/Leaders
- 8 nights accommodations on board M/S Malmo
- Fuel surcharges
- Breakfast, lunches, and dinners while on board
- Multiple zodiac excursions during the expedition
- Unlimited pottable water
- Transfers to port on day 1 (With a town stop)
- Transfer to airport on day 9
- Port Fees
- Park entrance fees
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Meals while not on board
- Transfers if arriving or leaving before or after the expedition
- Travel, luggage loss, medical, cancellation and evacuation insurance.
Deposits and final payments:
- A deposit of US $1500.00 per participant is required at the time of booking.
- The remaining balance will be charged 120 days before the expedition begins.
Download the Complete Expedition Details
“After 20 years of traveling, we never learned so much and had as much fun as with you guys!”
Jack N. Douglas-CO
“Our three expeditions with you were spectacular! We’ve just never had such wonderful travel experiences as with New Paths. We will get around praising you!”
Harriet T. Saugerties-NY
“NPE always provides excellent expedition guiding services where ever in the world we go. They attend to every detail, and NPE always has surprising added elements that are delightful. The best!”
Charlene P. La Jolla-CA
“Well planned, good local guides, top expedition leader. The trip far exceeded all expeditions.”
Frederic K. Orange-CA